It’s hard to go anywhere during the holiday season without being bombarded by chocolates, candies, cookies, and other holiday sweets. Even your home may be filled with these tempting goodies. But they can be very harsh on your teeth. Not only do they wear down your enamel, they can also cause cavities. Rather than find out too late, it’s important to get your teeth checked for cavities as soon as the holiday season comes to a close. Here is your guide to cavities, the symptoms that signal them, how to prevent them, and why it’s important to get regular checkups.
[maxbutton id=”1″ ]
Eat Lots of Holiday Sweets? Get a Cavity Checkup Now!
Cavities, unlike plaque, cannot simply be cleaned or scraped away. Rather, they are areas that have become permanently damaged and decayed. They are destructive, but very common. Sugar in foods and drinks can cause the decay which results in cavities.
The most common signs of a cavity include:
- Toothaches and pain that appear suddenly and without cause
- Sensitivity to pressure, hot, or cold
- Pain when eating or drinking
- Visible holes in your smile
- Dark staining on the surface of any tooth
How to Prevent Cavities
Though common, cavities don’t have to be inevitable. You can prevent them altogether and eliminate the need to have them removed. Steps you can take to prevent cavities include:
- Avoiding sugary snacks throughout the day
- Eating tooth-healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables
- Replacing sugary drinks with unsweetened teas and coffee
- Drinking tap water that contains fluoride
- Brushing with fluoride toothpaste after each meal
- Using a fluoride mouth rinse to rinse out your mouth
- Having dental sealants placed inside your mouth to protect tooth enamel
- Receiving fluoride treatments
- Visiting your dentist for regular checkups
Why You Should Contact Levittown Family Dental Associates
Visiting your dentist regularly is the most important step you can take to prevent and treat cavities. Levittown Family Dental Associates in Levittown, New Jersey, can examine your mouth for signs of cavities, give you tips on preventing cavities, and remove cavities that have already formed. We place special emphasis on preventative measures, as well as using non-toxic materials in all tests and procedures. Our other services include X-rays, fillings, crowns, dentures, and root canals. Dr. Eric Abrams is highly experienced and certified in many areas of dentistry, and will treat you with respect and compassion. We keep our office open on most holidays and offer 24-hour on-call services for dental emergencies. Contact Levittown Family Dental Associates today to schedule an appointment for your family’s dental needs.